Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Christmas Break Highlights

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get back into regularly recording our everyday family adventures. Maybe. :)

For the first time since we moved down to TN on January 6th, we went back to MD! It was much needed, and was so so wonderful.

1. The drive. I was super worried about the drive knowing that Clara had screamed the last 1.5 hours of our drive back from Knoxville back in November. But they all did SO well. We left after Noelle's half day of school on Friday and did about 6.5 hours of driving with a potty stop and a break for dinner. The kids were so excited about sleeping in a hotel, and then we finished up with about 5 more hours of driving the next day. There was minimal crying, and the big kids did mostly well waiting until we allowed screen time. I only spent part of the trip sitting in the back with Clara, holding her hand.

2. Church. Both Sundays we were in MD we went to CPC and got to see some friends. It was so precious seeing them, and I was even able to grab lunch with a few after church on the second Sunday. It was like time had barely passed and we jumped right in to catching up and talking about our babies.

After church the Sunday before Christmas
3. Christmas Eve. We spent most of that day and evening with my side of the family, as we usually do. My brother, sister, and her fiance flew in from CO and stayed with my parents (we stayed with Luke's parents), and Heather, Jason, and Holden all came over. We opened all our gifts from each other, and then, as usual, my mom's best friend and her grown kids joined us. We ate our spaghetti dinner and then did a gift exchange that involved rolling a die and passing or stealing gifts. 


It was of course so fun seeing all the cousins together!! My nephew gets too big between each of our visits. :(


And little Miss Clara did well despite being so out of her routine and being kept out late.


And, as has been tradition for the last three years, all 20 of us wore pajamas.


4. Christmas. The kids didn't wake up super early (probably mostly because they were still on Central time) but were eager to open gifts once they did get up. Two of Luke's sisters were staying with his parent's as well, and after some cinnamon rolls, we dug into presents. Soon after we started, his youngest sister and her fiance joined in the happy chaos. There was lots of laughter and excitement from the kids. Between Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, Noelle is now well stocked in craft supplies and cute clothes, and Jonah has multiplied his Mario brothers clothing collection.


Two of Luke's sisters left that day to head back to ME and VA, and the youngest went to spend time with her fiance's family. We hung out with his parents and the kids played with some of their new stuff, and then we ate some Chinese food at my sister's house to end the night.

5. The 26th. The day after Christmas we did dinner at my parent's house so that we could hang out with my uncle and catch up with him. We also said goodbye to Becky, Austin, and Nathan who left the next day.

And Jonah convinced me to use the timer my phone to snap some pictures.


And my mom got my sisters and me matching sweatshirts so we all wore them.


6. Running. I've been building my running back up over the last twoish months, but it's been almost exclusively on the treadmill and mostly run/walk. I decided to take it outside in the cold, hilly Westminster and it reminded me how much I do love running outside. I even got to see a beautiful sunrise on New Year's Day.


7. Other fun. Since Lydia got engaged the day before we got to MD, I was able to join in the fun of wedding dress, bridesmaid dress, and flower girl dress shopping. So excited for Lydia, and leaving didn't hurt quite as much knowing we'll be back in February.

We also got together with some of our closest friends who we went to college with, and who then came to our church when they moved to MD. We met their almost six month old (!!) and it was SO good catching up. We also were able to attend their annual New year's Eve party kid-free (thanks, Nana!)


On New Year's Day we joined some other close friends for lunch at their house. They had just arrived back from traveling the day before and I'm so thankful we were able to catch up!

It was a really good trip. The kids had their moments but overall they did really well for being so out of their routine and not getting nearly enough sleep. I loved being able to spend time with both Luke's family and my family. I don't know if we'll be able to come back this summer since we already have a beach trip and trip to CO for Becky's wedding planned. But after this trip, it makes me eager for another visit with our MD people!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love your updates!!
    I am so glad that I got a chance to see you!! It was so fun to catch up a little bit on NYE. I love that selfie of you and M!
    Looking forward already to your next MD visit... 💕

    ReplyDelete