Sunday, December 17, 2017

Clara Irene: 5 Months

The last few months have been an absolute blur, but here we are with an almost six month old. I figured I better sit down and get somewhat of a five month update together before Clara is half a year old!


I have no idea how tall she is, but around when she hit the five month mark, Luke stood with her on a scale and she was just over 12 pounds. She is growing for sure, and my mom even commented the other day on how much bigger she seems since we moved in with them.

Clara's sleep habits leave a lot to be desired. As in I desire that she would sleep more. Naps during the day are when we're in the car or when I'm nursing her. Within minutes (or sometimes seconds) of me laying her down, she pops those eyes wide open. At night she's waking up three times, usually around 11, 2, and then sometime between 4 and 5. And sometimes she's restless and starts fussing minutes after I feed her. We haven't been swaddling her and those arms of hers just seem to have a mind of their own! So much flailing around.


Once we're in our own house again, we'll do cry it out. She needs to learn how to self soothe and I need sleep! But for now, I pretty much have a baby by my side 24/7. It means I'm not getting stuff done and I've been zero help with the move. But it's a season and one day she'll be all grown up. (Nooooo!!)

Whenever she's hungry, I nurse her for a few minutes and then give her a bottle of formula. I have no idea how much she's actually getting from me, but she seems satisfied and is growing with both. We'll keep up the little nursing sessions for as long as we can, and keep upping formula as needed. 


Clara sleeps on her back, which I think is part of the problem. She really just doesn't spend much time on her tummy so that's probably a milestone we should work on. Especially since she hasn't rolled from back to front yet. The day after Thanksgiving, I gave her solids for the first time! It was carrots and she sort of just gummed it around and spit it out. And because life is crazy, I haven't given her any solids since then. Poor third child!

She has spent more time in the Bumbo working on that back and neck strength, and she can do short amounts of time tripod sitting. She loves smiling and grabbing her feet. She likes to do a little growl when she's holding a toy, and she grabs on to napkins whenever she can. In general she does pretty well in the car seat, especially if Noelle is next to her and can talk to her.


She likes mommy, people in general, being held, smiling, holding toys, and chewing on things.

She dislikes being set down and sleep.

It seems like we did so much! The road trip to Nashville to house hunt, her first Halloween and Thanksgiving, the craziness of packing up our house and moving in with my parents. Driving in the car to drop off older siblings, hanging out with Holden, and lots of extra time with Nana and Grandpa.

Baby elephant

After church picture

Family pictures!

Staying warm with Daddy while at Loveless Cafe in Nashville

Family selfie

Thanksgiving day!

Eating some carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment