Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Exploring Downtown, Jack Daniel's, and My People

One day we decided to hit up downtown Nashville in the 12South and The Gulch neighborhoods. Mostly to take pictures in front of (some) of the many murals around those areas. It was a sunny, hot day, but thankfully the kids did pretty well. And were mostly easily bribed by fruit snacks.


Getting pictures with all four of the cousins together was fun. I mean how hard can it be to get four kids, five and under to all look at the camera and smile? ;)


And of course with other people visiting, we were able to get pictures of our whole family! It's rare these days when I have a picture of all five of us. Of course that could also be because the older two in particular don't love cooperating. :)


While we were downtown, we decided to eat at Biscuit Love. I've been following them on Instagram for a little while, and every time I see a picture of the food, I just want to go! The kids got super thick french toast, Luke got some sort of chicken and biscuit combo, and I had a whipped yogurt and berry concoction and a brussel sprout salad. It was all SO good!


After a few hours of wandering around, we took the kids to Centennial Park to play on the play ground. Holden wasn't feeling great, so Heather and Jason headed home. Our kids played for awhile, and as we headed to the car we saw a NoBaked Cookie Dough place (another food place I had heard about!) and decided to go in and look. Which of course turned into us buying something. But we bought one small scoop for the four of us to share, and we still didn't finish it all. It was SO good, and also very rich. But so good.


Having family in town definitely got us out exploring Nashville more than we have since we've moved down here. I'm not a big city person, but I do know there is a lot to do, especially for kids, so I want to be brave and be willing to explore downtown with them. Nashville at least seems like a friendly, more navigable city than Baltimore or D.C.


The next day my mom scheduled a tour for all of us at the Jack Daniel's Distillery. The older adults (aka the 60+ group) went on a 30 minute air-conditioned bus tour, while those of us with little children went on an hour and a half walking tour that was outside and in hot buildings. I think the older adults won that one, especially since they at least got to have a tasting. BUT the kids did surprisingly well- again, there were bribes/distractions with fruit snacks. It was a warm day, but not overly humid, and no one had a complete meltdown.


Watching the assembly line- probably the most exciting part (aside from the brief video) for the kids. There were some interesting facts told on the tour, and the little town (Lynchburg) was super cute with their town square. But still- I questioned my mom if she would have ever taken us to something like this when we were my kids ages! And she just laughed.


Reaching for that pricey stuff! 


We did more while everyone was here- dinner celebration for my Uncle's birthday at Bishop's with ice cream back at the hotel, Heather and Jason made dinner for everyone at our house one night, we tried to go downtown for the country music awards festivities but kept getting turned away for various things (needed a clear bag! couldn't bring in outside food after I had just paid $10 for an acai bowl!) so we headed home. We turned on the Caps hockey game since my Grama is a big hockey fan. It was good. SO SO good having everyone here.  I'm especially thankful my Grama got to have every single person in her family all in one place.


And I LOVED seeing all my siblings in one place. We're all spread out now. Although Heather and Jason are planning on moving to CO, so I'll be the loner here in the south. But just an excuse for us to make frequent trips to CO!

No comments:

Post a Comment