Thursday, July 5, 2018

Birthday Celebration and the Fourth!

Tuesday was full of celebrating Noelle's sixth birthday! I'm still not used to Jonah being 4, so now I have to get used to saying my kids are 6, 4, and 1! (Although, let's be real, I'll still count the baby in months until she's 2!)

When she woke up, I had streamers hanging in the kitchen and two balloons tied to her chair. Those little things definitely make her feel loved, and I wanted her to feel celebrated! I also had a free pastry from Panera that needed to be used, so we headed there first thing and Noelle chose a sugar cookie, Jonah a chocolate chipper cookie, and I got coffee. 


The kids didn't know the plan for the afternoon, but after we'd been home for a little bit, I told them it was time to head out again. We drove up to Franklin and met Daddy at Chuck E Cheeses! It was Noelle's second time going to one, and Jonah's first, and they were both so excited. We spent $12 and they both had a blast running around to different rides and games for an hour.

According to Noelle, her favorite was the horse riding game! (Also, multiple people have asked me if Noelle is tall for her age, and I was beginning to wonder if she'd had a good growth spurt or something. Her measurements from her well-check put her at the 25th percentile for height, so I think it's mostly because she has long legs that she looks so tall. And she's leaned out a lot this past year- only about 3 pounds heavier than Jonah!)


Jonah had a blast, and his favorites were the "shooting" games. He seems to have some pretty good hand-eye coordination, maybe also because he's already playing video games at home. (eek!)


Clara hopped on rides with them when she could, and was otherwise pretty content to watch everything going on! Also, the fact that the girls were wearing matching dresses and bows today was by Noelle's request. (And ultimately thanks to Heather who bought them both the dresses and bows!)


And let's be real- Luke also had an absolute blast. He said someday he needs to just go during his lunch break and play skee-ball.


After we were done playing, we headed to Chick Fil A for lunch! We said goodbye to Daddy, and once we got home, Noelle was allowed to open one present. She decided to open her little Melissa & Doug horse painting kit. She immediately got to work and painted her two little horses!


We had a pretty quiet afternoon, ate dinner, and she opened the rest of her presents. The day before I had hosted our church's moms day, and we bought a cake to celebrate Noelle with our church friends. There was a piece left over, so on Tuesday we stuck a candle on it and sang her Happy Birthday again.

Fourth of July was also a super fun day, and I kept thinking that it was Saturday all day! Luke was working from home for a few hours, and I took the kids to our town's bicycle parade. Noelle and Clara rode in the stroller, but Jonah rode his bike! It was hot, and we were sweating before it even started, but I kept reminding them that there was ice cream at the end!


At one point there was a sloping downhill, and Jonah is terrified of hills because he has fallen a few times. He started freaking out a little, and a mom walking near me asked if I needed any help. I said probably, and she was immediately on it, holding one of Jonah's handlebars, while I held the other and pushed the stroller. She talked to him to keep him distracted from the hill, and helped me all the way to the finish, including getting into the shade. Not only did she help me with all of that, but after kids were finishing up ice cream and people were leaving, she came over to make sure we were all okay and offered to watch the kids so I could ride back to the starting point with her husband to get my van. I had already called Luke to see if he could come bring the van to us, and he was on his way. But it was incredibly sweet because I was completely dreading the idea of pushing the stroller and Jonah on his bike back up the hill in the sun. I think maybe she was my guardian angel for the day! 


That afternoon we had Luke's brother's family over for a cookout, and the kids played in our baby pool and in the play room for awhile. Cookout food is just so good, and I would love to get a picnic table some day so we can enjoy summer meals outside. Though I'm probably the only one that would want to eat outside with how hot it is. :)

We started hearing the pops of fireworks around 8:30, so we ran out front to see what was going on. A little girl we hadn't met yet, who lives three doors down, ran over to us and invited us to come see her fireworks. Jonah and I went down and I met our neighbors (yay!) and they were super kind and let Jonah do some sparklers and shoot off a few roman candles (they saved their big ones for when it got a bit darker.)  The street that branches off from ours apparently has an unofficial competition with fireworks, so we were able to stand in our driveway and watch the fireworks from that street, as well as all over town. It was pretty spectacular, and fireworks were going off everywhere for well over an hour. Both Noelle and Jonah loved it! And thankfully Clara slept right through it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment