Saturday, April 14, 2018

The Hub

The little kitchen nook is our hub. And it's probably my favorite place in the house.


It's where we eat.

Where Noelle does her homework. We read books here. I nurse Clara sitting in my chair.

Luke and I sit and talk about life and work and finances. I sit down to read my Bible here. Each evening I come to write out Scripture and a little record of our day.

I drink hot coffee as I watch the morning begin. We've celebrated Valentine's Day around this table, eaten green pancakes for St. Patrick's Day.


We've expanded the table to take up more space in this little kitchen nook to host Nana and Holden. We've welcomed our friends traveling through TN to share their meals here. We expanded it when we invited all our friends to sit around in their pajamas and eat pancakes.

Noelle and Jonah have created a million crafts in this space (wasting approximately 1,000 pounds of paper.) I've written letters to my grandma, and my Pen Pal.


We've sat at the table watching our big kids run around the backyard with our new neighbors.

I've sat at the table with a new friend, sharing our hearts and having "me too!" moments.

I've scrubbed the table about a million times, and vacuumed crumbs all day long. Clara has learned to scoot herself around by grabbing the rung of the kitchen chair and pulling herself forward.

So many things have happened around our table, the hub of our home.

I've been reading the book Daring to Hope by Katie Davis Majors, and something she says in the very first chapter captures what I want to be true of our home and dinner table: "I serve meals in this kitchen, but I want to serve what really counts. I want to offer all who pass through this place the Living Bread, the only food that truly fills."

May JESUS be known around our table! I'm still learning how to do this, learning to let go of the mess, letting go of my routine, and not only opening our house, but our hearts. And loving Jesus by loving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment