Thursday, August 21, 2014

Read!

Ever since we brought Jonah home from the hospital, Noelle's desire for us to read to her has increased quite a bit. I'm pretty sure part of it at least is because reading was something I could do pretty easily during his marathon nursing sessions, and I could give her lots of attention this way.  I'm just thankful it kept her happily occupied and close by so I could see what she was doing.

Now throughout the day, whether I'm nursing or not, she'll come over with a book and say "read!"  If I'm taking too long, she repeats until I get started.  Also, sometimes she insists upon me reading the same book again as soon as I'm finished reading it a first time.  Let's just say there are some books that I'm ready to hide away for awhile. :)

reading a book she got from great-grandma for her birthday

At naptime, we read a book or two (or three or four), and recently, I've suggested she take a book with her to bed so she can read to her care bear and Curious George.  So far it's worked like a charm- she agrees, opens the book as I'm leaving the room, and no fussing ensues.

Once daddy is home in the evenings, we have a system going where I nurse Jonah in the semi-darkness and daddy reads to her until I lay Jonah in the bassinet.

reading with daddy

I remember the days when she was younger, and would just flip quickly through a book, or skip pages, and did not have much interest in the story itself.  I love that she loves for us to read to her now!  Reading is definitely one of my passions, and I'm excited to share that with her.  I remember my mom reading the Little House on the Prairie books out loud to my sister and me when we were younger, and I look forward to doing that with my kids someday.

Some of Noelle's current favorites are The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown, My First Read and Learn Bible by Scholastic, and the two Little Critter books we have by Mercer Mayer.  I love reading any of the Sandra Boynton books to her, Me with You by Kristy Dempsey (who we worked alongside in Brazil when our church sent a team down), and Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson.

falling asleep with her books

No comments:

Post a Comment