Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Finding Out

I originally wrote this post on Wednesday, September 19th, the day I went in for my blood test at Shady Grove!

-----------------------------------------------

Yesterday I peed on a stick. I knew I was going in today for a blood test to find out if I was pregnant or not after our IUI at the beginning of the month. I wanted to know- to at least know if it was negative. I wanted to be a little more mentally prepared, and be able to mourn if we weren't pregnant, and start gearing myself up for another cycle.

My alarm went off at 5:00 so that I could workout (a.k.a walk on the treadmill) before the craziness of the day started. I grabbed the pregnancy test that I had secretly stuck in the medicine cabinet the night before and sat down to do the deed. Immediately the test line filled and remained blank. No second line. The test was negative.

Even though I had geared myself up expecting it to be negative, the sinking feeling of sadness crept over me that I've felt over almost every pregnancy announcement in the last two years. But I pep talked myself into finishing getting ready, and as I was brushing my teeth, I glanced down and saw a faint second line.


Wait, what??

There was a barely there line, but just enough to give me hope and make my heart skip a beat. It was positive!! I went from feeling down, to elated. I couldn't stop smiling.

I decided to wait until the blood test confirmed it today before telling Luke. I knew that if it was a really low number, it could mean an early miscarriage. But our number was 306 (measuring hCG, which is made from the cells in the placenta), and our nurse told me they like to see a minimum of 100. So a great number, and such an answer to prayer! When my nurse called and told me, I squeezed Noelle and told her we were having a baby, and we would have to celebrate with daddy tonight (aka, I got sushi- nothing raw for me!)

What a blessing that our first IUI worked! Even though the last few months have included setbacks, and doing things I never thought I would have to do, it has been such a sweet time of seeing and feeling God at work in my life. Learning again and again to lay down my dreams for His bigger and better dreams.

This IUI did not "help" God get us pregnant, but rather it shed even more light on the fact that God is the giver of life.

He chose the right time.

He chose the right way.

He chose life for this baby- however brief or long that may be. God is good, all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment