Monday, October 20, 2014

The Wee Little Man

A few of Noelle's favorite books are the ones with lots of short Bible stories.  We have at least two books that get read on repeat, often one right after the other.  Both contain the story of Zacchaeus, and ever since we sang her the song about the "wee little man", she insists that we sing the song rather than read the story when we get to that page.

I've personally been reading through Beth Moore's book Jesus, the One and Only during my time with God.  The book is taking me through the book of Luke, focusing on the life of Jesus and His encounters with people during His ministry.  I love that even though I've read and heard these parables and stories many times throughout my life, I am always able to learn something new.  God's Word is certainly living and active!

[Sidenote: it is a constant struggle for me to find time to spend with the Lord- I definitely don't do it well.  Sometimes I just have to come to Him as I am throughout my days of crazy and say a quick prayer about what's on my heart, or ask Him to give me more patience.  But, I know that being in His Word is so important!]

Noelle reading one of her books

The most recent anecdote Beth Moore has taken me through is the story of Zacchaeus, the tax collector. He was a powerful man in Jerusalem, and being a tax collector, was able to extort the people.  There are so many great lessons in the story that have encouraged me and shown me ways that I can grow in my relationship with the Lord.

Luke 19:4 talks about how Zacchaeus ran ahead and climbed a tree so that he could better see Jesus through the crowd because he was too short to see above them.  Zacchaeus was a powerful public figure in the community, but was willing to humiliate himself in order to get a glimpse of Jesus. Do I seek Jesus like that?  Do I overcome whatever obstacles are in my way just so I can spend time with Him?  I love that someone who had never met Jesus before was so eager to see Him!

[Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."] 

Luke 19:5 uses the phrase "the spot".  When Jesus reached "the spot".  Beth Moore points to this as divine appointment- Jesus knew exactly who He was going to meet and talk with while He was in Jerusalem well before He even got there.  God knows our lives inside and out before we even begin our journeys.  And even better, Jesus calls Zacchaeus by name!  Christ knows and loves us so intimately, and desires for us to know Him just as well.

Bible with a side of coffee, apple, and almond butter

In verse 6, it says that Zacchaeus "came down at once."  God honors a quick response of obedience to Him and His Son.  He loves when we obey and experience life fully in Him and in His plan for us.  I know I'm not always quick to obey because I want things my way and I lose sight of the fact that God has the best plan for me.

There are so many other lessons to be learned from Jesus' encounter with Zacchaeus, but these are just a few that stood out to me in Beth Moore's book and are things that I need to work on in my own life.  I'm so thankful for the Lord's mercy and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment