Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Onto the New Year

As I sit here a week into the new year, Noelle is watching yet another episode of Strawberry Shortcake and cheerios are scattered all over the floor (because, really, am I going to be able to sweep three times a day?)  Jonah is crying in his crib because he's figured out how to pull himself to standing, and has been on a nap strike, taking a nap for a grand total of one hour yesterday.  We'll see how today goes.  Noelle is walking around in her pajama shirt and underwear (and of course the princess dress) because we're trying potty training once again.

And I'm so thankful that I get to be here at home with my children.  Some days are long and hard, and all I want to do is hand them off to someone else so I can go take a nap.  But at the same time, they are the best and make me laugh and amaze me with what they do each day.  Noelle has been using longer sentences, Jonah is pulling himself up on everything and cruising around the table.  They are such a joy to watch grow up.

Noelle in January last year- can't believe how much she's changed!

I think these hard days are the in-my-face reminders that I need Jesus.  I need His grace, His patience, and I definitely need His wisdom.  I cannot do motherhood without Him.  Sometimes I think I've got it all under control, and then both kids are crying and want to be held at the same time.  Noelle pushes us and likes to use the word "no" when we ask her to do something.  At least sometimes she's polite when we ask her to pick up her toys and she says "no, thank you."

When thinking back on last year, I think that 2014 was one of our best years, thanks to Jonah, and one of our hardest, also thanks to Jonah.  His first six months were hard to get through, but Jesus was there through it all and He sustained me.  Just like He'll sustain me throughout this year and He will be my constant.

another new trick of feeding himself cheerios

It was such a blessing to add Jonah to our family last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Jesus does with our family this year.  I've never really made New Years resolutions, but there are a few things I want to focus on.  Mostly, I want to just be with Jesus throughout the day.  I read a devotion the other day that talked about the hymn "I Need Thee Every Hour" and included this verse: John 15:5b "...apart from me you can do nothing."  It is the truth and motherhood has a constant way of bringing me back to that.

Noelle came up with the idea of making a "choo choo train" all on her own

And of course some practical things I want to think about.  After the amount of sugar I ate in December, I want to be much more conscientious about how much I'm putting in my body.  I want to be a better mom and focus on things like washing hands and brushing teeth more often (eep!), and learning about how to better raise our children in Christ.  I want to be a better wife- ever since we had Noelle I've been so focused on the kids.  But Luke is my best friend and he's the one relationship I'll have when the kids are grown up and gone.  Thankfully Luke's sister Lydia offered to watch the kids on the first Friday of the month so that we can go out.  We've already had one date and it was so much fun to be out with him!

date night selfie // went to dinner at Becks and then 
walked around Home Depot

Just for fun, Noelle's goal is to be potty trained before she turns three, and Jonah's is to sleep through the night EVERY night.

No comments:

Post a Comment