Monday, November 3, 2014

Young Life 5K

Last Saturday before we went to the pumpkin patch, I ran a 5K put on to raise money for our local Young Life group.  Young Life is a group involved with middle school, high school, and college aged students to build relationships and share Christ.  I was never involved with the group when I was in high school, but I love what they do and wish that I had been.  This was the third year I've run this race, and this year they switched it up from a trail race to running on a paved path in Columbia.

4 month old Noelle the first year I ran this race

It's a smaller race, and the first year I ran it, three of my friends were the top three women.  Thanks to them placing top three overall, I was able to get first in our age group.  It was also my second race post having Noelle. Last year I ran it while in the beginning of my second trimester with Jonah. Without my friends running it who ran it the year before, I was able to place first female and won two tickets to the movies.  Which Luke and I still have not used.

There were quite a few people from our church running the race this year, including my friends Sarah and Megan (and Megan's husband, Joe).  Sarah and I placed second and third for the women, and Megan was first in our age group. The course was a fun path behind some neighborhoods through the woods and around a lake.  The temperature was cool and the sun was shining making it comfortable to run in shorts and a long sleeve.  The run was pretty easy for the first two and a half miles, and the last half mile or so was a slight uphill, definitely making the end the most difficult.
Megan and I rocking our medals (thanks for the pic, Megan!)

I don't even know what my time was because I've started using Luke's Garmin and could not for the life of me figure out how to reset it, and I can't find if our official times were posted online anywhere. I know it wasn't fast, but I went into the race knowing that I wouldn't be fast and knowing that I would take it easy anyhow since I haven't been running as much thanks to my toe.  I just knew I wanted to support such a great organization, and run a relaxed race.

Luke stayed home with the littles, after I made sure to try and tank Jonah up before I left.  Since we're supplementing with formula now anyhow, we figured Luke would push the bottle if need be.  It ended up working out great because Jonah napped for most of the time that I was gone. What a good babe.  It was great to be out without the kids for a little while, and it made me extra happy to see them when I got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment