Thursday, March 5, 2015

Family and Friends

Just in time for us to be gearing up for this coming weekend, I want to make sure to recap last weekend!  It was a fun one, with lots of quality time with each other and with friends.

On Friday evening, I was excited to head out for a girls night with some fellow mamas.  We met for dessert and spent about two hours sitting and chatting (uninterrupted!) about life.  Of course, as usual, when you get a group of moms together, a lot of the talking revolved around our kids.  And around breastfeeding, potty-training, sleeping through the night, and all that fun stuff.  I always feel so refreshed after spending time with girlfriends, even if all we pretty much talk about is our kids.

I love that this group of girls is a mix of stay at home moms and working moms.  Some of us nurse, and some of us don't for various reasons. There's cloth diapering and one is on her third baby, while two just had their first. The diversity brings something to the group, and I love that we can just sit and encourage one another in our journey of motherhood.

 Jonah watching some play place action at Chick Fil A

On Saturday we had plans for some college friends to come over for dinner, so we spent the morning getting the house clean.  In the afternoon, I took the littles and met my sisters and my parent's Chilean exchange student at Chick Fil A for lunch (and one last free vanilla iced coffee- I am hooked!).  It's become a little more rare for all of us to be together since my youngest sister moved to Virginia for work, so it's always good to see her when she is around.

They of course loved on Noelle and Jonah, and we laughed at Noelle's goofy antics and when Jonah rested his head on the table while sucking down a fruit and veggie pouch.  I love that my kids have family close by to love on them, and to build relationships with.  And hopefully someday, in the not so distant future, they will have cousins to play with!

The downside of the trip was Noelle having a potty accident.  She told me twice she wanted to go, so I took her to the restroom, but she didn't do anything either time.  And then she peed right next to our table. I knew as soon as we started taking her out in public without a diaper that this would happen eventually, and I'm just glad it happened next to the table instead of in the play place!  It was super helpful having my sisters there who cleaned up the mess on the floor while I took Noelle and changed her in the bathroom. I know it's just all a part of the potty training process!

In the evening, our friends Jason and Deb came over for dinner.  Jason was in our wedding, and we haven't seen them since before they had their son, who is now 17 months old.  Total fail on our part for not keeping in better touch since they live less than an hour away!

But we had a lot of fun catching up with them, and hearing about what's been happening in their lives.  Their son and Jonah will be the same year in school, and at one point while their little guy was "feeding" Jonah his bottle, I joked that we should snap a picture so they can hang it in their dorm room when they are roommates at Grove City someday. Because of course all of our children will be attending our alma mater.

Sunday evening scene

On Sunday morning, we knew the weather was going to be bad so we were keeping an eye out for any email potentially cancelling church.  We weren't sure if we should go anyhow since both kids were sick and we wouldn't be able to put them in nursery.  But we hadn't been for the previous two weeks because of weather and sickness, so when no email came, we decided at the last minute to attempt the drive.

Thankfully it wasn't too bad, but when we got to church a little bit late, we were greeted by a friend who is on staff telling us we got there just in time for the last five minutes. Oops! Apparently the pastor had decided after the Sunday School hour to just share what God has been teaching him personally for a quick 20 minutes so that everyone could get home before the roads got too bad. Jonah was moving around too much, so I didn't really end up getting to hear much anyhow, but I'm at least glad we attempted!

No comments:

Post a Comment